Staff and visitors to the Cobar Health Service are now required to wear face masks like all other hospitals and health services across the Western NSW Local Health District (WNSWLHD).
WNSWLHD Director of Operations Mark Spittal said that NSW Health had responded to the risk of community transmission of COVID-19 by increasing infection control measures with the new state-wide requirements.
“This change impacts staff, visitors and patients,” said Mr Spittal.
“From today [Monday], all visitors must wear a mask when they are in any of our health facilities.
“We encourage people to wear their own masks as long as they are in good condition.
“All health services will have posters on display, to assist visitors use their masks correctly.
“If visitors have underlying health issues that they believe might prevent them from wearing a mask, they should contact their local health service before they visit to get advice.
“In addition to visitors wearing a mask, all staff caring for or working within 1.5 meters of any patient will also be required to wear surgical masks.
“Where possible, patients coming to a health service will be required to wear a mask and those patients already in hospital may be required to wear a mask outside their room.
“At this stage, children 12 years old and under are not required to wear a mask if they do not have any symptoms,” Mr Spitall said.
“The use of masks does not mean physical distancing and hand washing/sanitising should not be adhered to.
“The safety or our staff, patients and visitors is our priority and all visitors and staff must pass all applicable screening processes in place including temperature checking at all entrances to the facility.
“If you are unwell do not visit.
“If you have even the mildest cough, fever, runny nose or difficulty breathing, please visit one of our COVID-19 clinics or call your doctor,” Mr Spittal said.
There are currently no known cases of COVID-19 in Cobar or in the district.
The WNSWLHD has tested more than 12,270 people over the past four weeks including 42 in Cobar at last week’s drive-through COVID-19 mobile service at the council carpark.