Bantams’ big win

Cobar’s Bantam Roosters travelled to Bourke for their second match of the Barwon Darling Rugby League competition on Sunday and came up against the Bourke Warriors as part of Bourke’s match day against the Walgett Dragons.

From the outset Cobar’s forwards were dominating the smaller Warriors’ pack with Jason Fell, Partrick Hallcroft and Nick Buckman providing some big hits in defence and forcing errors.

The Roosters’ attack found their rhythm early with halves Kody Martin and Jay Ellison providing outside backs Luke Grey and Johnny Best plenty of opportunities down the edges.

Grey looked to open the scoring but the ball was lost just short of the line.

It wasn’t long before Cobar had another chance to score and this time Buckman forced his way over and Martin converted for Cobar to take a 6-0 lead.

Strong runs from co-captain Wyatt Proudlove and Andrew Rorke allowed hooker Marty Turton to beat several defenders around the ruck to score under the posts. Martin kicked his second conversion for a 12-0 lead.

The Roosters didn’t have to wait long for their third try with Buckman finishing off a slick backline movement to score and Martin’s  conversion had the Bantam Roosters up 18-0 midway through the first half.

An error from the Roosters’ next set with the ball allowed the Warriors field position for an attack that they duly took to hit back with a converted try. The young Roosters fired back with one of their own when good runs from Fell, Grey and Buckman allowed Ellison room to move and he stepped his way past four defenders to score under the posts. Martin’s conversion had them ahead 24-6.

Playing at Fullback, Best then got in the action as an offload from Grey allowed Best to race down the sideline and beat his opposite Fullback to score in the corner. Martin’s conversion unfortunately ricocheted off the posts.

Another error from the Roosters right on halftime allowed Bourke a try but Cobar was ahead 28-10 at the break.

Coach Ben Simon told his team during the break to continue their dominance in the game and Henry Brookman obliged by quickly opening the scoring in the second half. Martin’s fifth conversion put them ahead 34-10.

The Warriors couldn’t get through Cobar’s strong defence with Grey, Buckman and Hallcroft holding strong in the middle which gave the Cobar team good field position for attacking raids. With Best and Brookman both grabbing their second tries each in quick succession, Cobar’s lead jumped out to 44-10 midway through the second half.

The injection of Tyson Brilley into hooker had the required effect for the Roosters as his darting runs out of dummy half had Bourke back pedaling and Grey was rewarded with a try in the corner. Martin’s conversion again cannoned into the goal posts for 48-10 lead.

Brookman grabbed his third try for the half and Martin proved his aim was true (hitting the posts for the third time). A late Bourke try was counteracted by Buckman, also notching his third try of the game, for the Bantam Roosters to claim a fantastic 56-16 win. Best for the Roosters were Turton, Buckman and Hallcroft.—contributed