More than 1,200 customers in Cobar and surrounding rural areas were without power on Saturday night after a motor vehicle hit a power pole in Kurrajong Circle bringing down the pole and power lines.
According to the police report, a 32 year old Cobar man lost control of his vehicle at approximately 10.30pm on Saturday night in Kurrajong Circle. The car is reported to have mounted the curb and hit the pole before rolling onto its side.
The driver exited the car and fled the scene but was located a short time later by police.
The impact brought the power pole down onto the road and damaged powerlines in the vicinity for approximately 150 metres.
Essential Energy Regional manager Northern, Mark Summers, said crews responded immediately and power was switched off to 1,263 homes and businesses at 10.39pm.
“After ensuring the safety of the public and their property they re-routed the electricity network around the damaged electricity infrastructure and restored power to 1,205 homes and businesses at 2.01am on Sunday morning,” Mr Summers said.
“Power was restored to the remaining customers at 1.56pm on Sunday once repairs, including the replacement of a power pole, cross-arm and four service lines, had been completed.”
The 32 year old driver was taken to Cobar Hospital for treatment to minor injuries.
Police are awaiting the results of his blood alcohol test. Enquiries into the accident are continuing.