The Cobar community has rallied behind a local family who were recently left homeless after their house was destroyed by fire.
Local paramedic Tony Cremona and his family have been overwhelmed by the generosity of the Cobar community which included the use of a furnished four bedroom home supplied by Endeavor Mine.
“We’ve received lots of support. It’s just been so amazing,” Mr Cremona said.
“It was very generous of Endeavor to give us the use of a house as we were struggling to find rental accommodation.”
When Endeavor’s general manager Denver D’Angelo heard the family had lost their home and belongings he was quick to offer the family the use of one of Endeavor’s houses.
“We’ve made the house available to the family for three months, rent free,” Mr D’Angelo said.
“The arrangement will be reassessed with both the family’s situation and Endeavor’s position at the end of the three month period.”
Mr D’Angelo said as Mr Cremona’s work as a paramedic is of great importance to the community, it was a priority to see that he and his family were settled.
The family was able to start moving into their new temporary home last Wednesday.
Mr Cremona’s workmates have also helped out with a generous cash donation coming from members of the local emergency services.
Police Senior Constable Greg Martin said a bank account, the Cobar Emergency Services Relief Fund, has been set up at the Orana Credit Union to help the family and anyone is welcome to make a donation.
Along with praising lots of people who have donated household goods and offers of assistance, Mr Cremona said they were extremely grateful to their neighbour who, on the night of the blaze, alerted the fire brigade and also broke down their door to ensure no one was trapped in the house.
At the time of the fire, Mr Cremona and the children were away while Mrs Cremona was at work at the Lilliane Brady Village.
“It was really heroic what he did. He knew we had kids and he kicked the door in to make sure we were safe,” Mr Cremona said.
“I’m just lost for words at how generous everyone has been. The community spirit in this town is just so amazing.”