Cobar Shire Council general manager Peter Vlatko praised the Cobar community for their diligence in helping to slow the spread of Coronavirus.
“So far we are very fortunate that Cobar has no recorded cases,” Mr Vlatko told The Cobar Weekly on Monday.
“We still need to be diligent as anyone who presents with symptoms similar to COVID-19 has the potential to have contracted the virus.”
Mr Vlatko said that’s why medical staff are treating people who are at risk of contracting the virus or people who are suspected of having it in the same manner as someone who has been confirmed to have COVID-19.
“Due process is then followed until the patient is tested and further treatment is then given based on whether it was a positive or negative result.”
Mr Vlatko said a Cobar resident who recently became ill with COVID-19-like symptoms was transferred to Dubbo for further treatment. He said thankfully they tested negative for COVID-19.
COVID-19 statistics in the Western NSW Local Health District (WNSWLHD) are some of the most conservative in the state.
A WNSWLHD spokesperson said as of yesterday there had been 45 reported cases since the pandemic commenced.
Of those, only five cases are still active in the region, two in the Mid-Western Region, and one each in Dubbo, Orange and Bathurst.
“Active cases are people who have COVID-19 who are still infectious. Active cases may be receiving medical care in hospital, or they may be in isolation in the community.
“Two cases have been removed from the total number of notifications. These cases have been excluded because subsequent testing found them to be negative for COVID-19,” the spokesperson said.