Roosters storm into finals contention

Tristan Everett forcing his way through the Trangie defence in the Christie & Hood
Castlereagh Rugby League First Grade game on Saturday at Tom Knight Memorial Oval. The Cobar Roosters finished as 32-12 winners with Everett, a stand-out player, scoring two tries for Cobar.

The Cobar Roosters stormed into finals contention when they downed the Trangie Magpies 32-12 in the Christie & Hood Castlereagh Rugby League competition at Tom Knight Memorial Oval on Saturday.

The win continues the Roosters’ recent good form and sets them up for a massive game against the Gulgong Terriers this Saturday at Gulgong’s Billy Dunn Oval.

This Saturday’s match is the final hurdle for the Roosters in their march to the semi finals and, if they can down the Terriers and Trangie is beaten by Gilgandra, the Roosters will force their way into the semis.

Similarly the Dunedoo Swans will be looking for a win over Baradine when they meet this Saturday in the final round of the Christie & Hood Castlereagh competition.

A loss by both Trangie and Cobar would see the Swans gain the valued fourth spot, which all combines to make for an exciting and tight finish to the 2019 competition.

A sizeable crowd gathered to cheer on the Roosters at Tom Knight Memorial Oval on Saturday afternoon with many sticking to the seats in the sun or hugging the fire buckets on what was a bitterly cold and windy day.

The Roosters started off slowly in Saturday’s game and seemed to be missing their spark from the previous week’s impressive win over Baradine.

It was Trangie who opened the scoring with an early converted try.

That didn’t however rattle the Roosters and their patience was rewarded after a series of penalties against Trangie put them in a good field position.

Sustained attack on Trangie’s line resulted in big Centre Ben Simon crossing for Cobar’s first points.

Jacob Good’s conversion attempt was picked up by the swirling breeze and waved away and Trangie held on to a narrow 6-4 lead.

Immediately after the re-start, Roosters
halfback Jake Francisco got a pass away to Jack Govett who powered his way up through the centre of the field to score under the posts.

Good converted and Cobar went out to a
10-6 lead.

The Roosters were on the attack again and a poor attempt at a grubber kick (which actually paid off) saw Jed Noonan re-gather over the line to score.

Good’s conversion wobbled in the wind
but eventually found its mark and Cobar led

The Roosters turned it up a notch in the second half and, 10 minutes in, Tristan Everett scored back-to-back tries.

Good converted both to bring the score up to 28-6.

The Cobar side was well and truly in command of the game until a sin-binning of one of their bench players (with 13 minutes left on the clock) put the pressure on.

Trangie took advantage of the overlap and scored out wide to narrow the margin to 28-12.

The Roosters regathered and their patience in attack was once again rewarded when a long pass to the wing which resulted in a try for Ash Davies.

Good’s conversion was waved away.

With five minutes left to play the Roosters defended strongly to finish with a 32-12 win.

Everett and Govett were stand-outs for the Roosters in the match with both sharing in the referee’s Best and Fairest game points.

Simon, Noonan, Nathan McAndrew, Marty Turton and Tim Hillam all also served the Roosters well in Saturday’s game.