Roosters made it three from three and firm up as favourites

Cobar Roosters co-coach Loma Atuau scored two tries in their match against Baradine on Saturday to help the Roosters to a win. It’s the third consecutive week Atuau has
recorded a double.

The Cobar Roosters made it three from three with their third consecutive win in the 2024 Castlereagh Rugby League competition on Saturday.

Played in wet conditions in front of a reduced crowd at Tom Knight Memorial Oval, the Roosters accounted for the Baradine Magpies visitors 34-12.

More used to a fast pace of play and an expansive passing game, the Roosters needed to modify their game tactics when they were presented with wet conditions on Saturday.

The Roosters however didn’t opt to “play it safe” and they took a few risks which resulted in a number of ball handling errors.

Baradine were in the same boat and they too made numerous ball handling errors in the slippery conditions.

Cobar co-coaches Loma Atuau and Thomas Plater however had faith in their players’ skills and it paid off as the Roosters had a glut of possession and good field position throughout the match which helped them to the win.

Cobar was quick off the mark in Saturday’s game with Ben Griffiths scoring on the left wing within two minutes of the match kicking off.

Shortly after Atuau muscled his way over for their second try and when Plater’s conversion attempt found its mark, the Roosters were ahead 10-0 just before the 10 minute mark.

The match then became an arm wrestle for both sides as Baradine tried to get themselves back into the game while the Roosters were determined to keep them out of it.

Consecutive penalties against the Roosters (including one that landed a player in the sinbin for 10 minutes) kept the Cobar team scrambling in defence.

Baradine’s persistence paid off and they eventually crossed for their first try in the far right corner. The conversion attempt was short of the mark and the margin was now 10-4.

The Magpies managed to narrow the margin to two points the difference when they crossed again on the left wing just before the banished Rooster returned to the field.

With their full side back on the pitch, the Roosters regrouped and an attacking raid on the line resulted in Kai Taylor crossing out on the left wing to take the score to 14-8.

Plater’s sideline conversion was off the mark  and the score remained unchanged going into the half time break.

Despite the wet and greasy conditions, the Roosters weren’t keen to slow their game down and they continued to play on their terms.

Zane Taylor opened the scoring for Cobar in the second half, Atuau crossed for his second try and Veni Taumololo scored out wide. Tim Hillam also crossed for a try for the Roosters five minutes before full time before Baradine scored the final try three seconds before the siren to narrow the margin to 34-12