After almost two years without an air service, an Air Link Saab 340 aircraft flew into Cobar on Monday morning as part of a new regular public transport (RPT) air service.
Cobar commuters now have access to regular return flights four days a week to Dubbo which will connect with Rex and Air Link services to Sydney.
Air Link chief operating officer David Brooksby, who was on the first flight into Cobar on Monday morning, said the company had been pleased to re-establish RPT services to Cobar.
“We are delighted to return to the Cobar community today a reliable and affordable air service that the entire region can utilise, after over 18 months without an air service.
“In working with key local stakeholders we have been able to establish a service that can allow the local community to travel to Sydney in a timely manner for a fixed affordable fare,” Mr Brooksby said.
Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance and Member for Barwon Kevin Humphries have also welcomed the resumption of air services to Cobar.
“It’s great to see flights back up and running,” Mr Constance said.
He said the NSW Government had deregulated the Cobar to Sydney route effective as of August 28, removing the requirement for the service to have a licence.
“This is an example of how the NSW Government is removing red tape to support growth and boost regional economies,” he said.
Mr Humphries said that the NSW Government had recognised it needed to step aside so the air transport industry could get on with the business of delivering services to regional NSW without having to comply with cumbersome rules and red tape.
The interim bus service that provided Cobar passengers a link to Dubbo airport since December 2013 will continue to operate until mid September.